Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Year Later

Cham said, Ma, you don't blog so much anymore.

It's not true, but you're right, it's not an everyday thing because (a) you don't need this everyday, and (b) you don't need this everyday.

And you know I have a thousand drafts, so when I'm ready to publish I go over them and push the button, come what may and often, dismay.

But Cardiogirl commented on an old post, and I reread it, and wow, it's been a whole year since then and maybe those of you who are new readers should read this to get a feel for where we're coming from here at ENT.

There are some errors. For example, I say:
Individual therapists have the right to say they treat families and couples, but I'm sorry, they don't KNOW family therapy. In their heads it's still more likely to be about the patient/doctor relationship and how the doctor can get the patient (the most dysfunctional member of the family) to behave differently.
It's not obvious that I mean that the identified patient is usually not the most dysfunctional person in the family. People just assume that they are, and they're often way off base.

The other real problem with the post is that there are too many dashes. Psycho-analysis. Psycho-dynamic. Feed-back. Psycho-education. Polly-ann-ish. G-d.

It's called On Self-disclosure and Family Therapy And it's long. But at least there's no mention of fish, plants (read the post below), skis or religion.

Or even sandwiches. Which is a problem, I feel.


therapydoc

3 comments:

have popcorn will lurk said...

It's not obvious that I mean that the identified patient is usually not the most dysfunctional person in the family. People just assume that they are, and they're often way off base.

Heh. You ain't just whistlin' dixie. The ID'd patient is just the one closest to going off the deep end because of the others' shenanigans...

therapydoc said...

I don't go with always or nevers, but how about often?

Jack Steiner said...

1000 drafts. Wow.

  Bring them home, the Homeland Concert There's not much to say. Wait, I take it back. There's SO much to say it is too much. There ...