Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Another Excerpt From Condo the Novel



 I don't know if this happens to other writers, I don't know too many people who write and talk about it, but when I write something that makes me smile, something with a message, I want to share it. 

I always hope it doesn't contain anything that might be offensive, and when it is about weight, when the subject is about kilograms or ounces, pounds, there is always that potential, a possibility of offending either the listener or in this case, the reader. 

Weight is so packed, such a trigger, that I try to avoid it altogether, if at all possible, am content to look inside people, that's where the good stuff is anyway, no matter what a person looks like on the outside. 

Which is why it surprised me, the following excerpt, because it is about a larger person. Maybe it is easier to write about it if it is fiction. It isn't about anybody you or I know.

Let's have a look. Let me know if you find anything offensive here. 

At a stocky five foot five, one-hundred seventy pounds, Susan is a presence. Her light brown hair is completely blond with golden-brown streaks, the opposite it had been only six months ago. Her hairdresser is clearly top drawer—I hardly noticed the change. But today I do, for some reason. It could be that she has a glow, that glow of being in love, engaged to be married. To me she looks fantastic but it is pretty clear that she has not lost all the weight she needs to lose to fit into her wedding gown. She will still be a lovely bride. She is beautiful and positively glowing, like I said.

I thought it was to be a May wedding but her father The Alderman wants to move it up to beat what he’s sure will be a complete community lockdown. Her weight doesn’t matter to Richard, she confided that to me months ago, all of us outside watching the paramedics shuttle Tsippi Wall to an ambulance. Richard Geery, the famous photographer, Susan’s fiancé has a sister who oddly enough is built and looks very much like Susan— down to their preferred nail polish colors, either blood red or navy blue. I met Richard’s sister at a council meeting last fall, she’s on the Board of Marmouth Castle I, the condo two doors down, and it is true, Susan, Richard’s intended, bears an uncanny resemblance to his sister Maria. Isn’t it interesting how family body types can serve as a kind of comfort zone? Perhaps it is because we are drawn to people who remind us unconsciously of people we love. 


That's it,


therapydoc

No comments:

  Bring them home, the Homeland Concert There's not much to say. Wait, I take it back. There's SO much to say it is too much. There ...