Sunday, July 23, 2023

When Things Fall Apart

Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart

 



I love it when a patient recommends a book and I read it and learn something right away. This is one of those books.

We've all been there. Stuck in the rain. No umbrella. 

When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron. Its like a warm towel.

There is so much in this book I don't know where to begin, but here's a story.  I'm going to be telling it over a lot.

A teacher (I think Yoda) tells her student, a young warrior (think Princess Leah), that she must do battle with her fear. 

The student does not like the idea and protests but the teacher insists. 

The day arrives and the two are at opposite ends of a space. The warrior is feeling very small, Fear looks big, scary. The warrior approaches, bows, then asks with respect: May I have the honor of doing battle with you?

Fear thanks her for having the respect to ask. 

The warrior asks what she needs to do to defeat Fear and Fear divulges her secrets. 

My weapon is that I talk a lot and I get in your face. I wear you down and then you do what I say. Do not do what I say. 

That is how to defeat me

I nearly fell off my chair, seriously. Just don't do what your fear tells you to do. 

therapydoc






No comments:

  Bring them home, the Homeland Concert There's not much to say. Wait, I take it back. There's SO much to say it is too much. There ...