Friday, October 20, 2006

Bill Simmons on ESPN Page 2 Mets Sports Suicide

Bill Simmons, a writer for ESPN tells over the following snip following the Cardinal win over the Mets in Game 7.

8:50 --
Someone calls me. I look at the caller ID and see it's my buddy Sal's house, so I pick up to talk him off the ledge. Instead, it's his wife (not a sports fan) calling to get tips for dealing with her distraught husband from the Sports Gal. We end up having this impromptu exchange: Her (sounding slightly scared): "Bill? What do I do?"
Me: "Is Sal there right now?"
Her: "Yeah. I don't know what to do."
Me: "Don't try to make him feel better. Stay away from him."
Her: "Really?"
Me: "Yeah. Stay away for the rest of the night. Let him stew over this for a couple of hours. Go into your room and read or something. Let him initiate the first conversation."
Her: "OK." You have to admit, there's nothing quite like sports.

Now I have to tell you guys, I couldn't have said it better. I personally know what it's like to feel horrible when your team loses by a hair (the Bartman ball of the 2003 play-off had us all crying in our soup, and a little homicidal, too-- where is Bartman?)

But Bill Simmons knows his stuff. This is exactly how you deal with people in mourning. You give them space, you let them talk first, and if they're not ready, wait them out.

Can't wait for the World Series.

Bill's new book "Now I Can Die In Peace" is available on Amazon.com and in bookstores everywhere.

2 comments:

  Bring them home, the Homeland Concert There's not much to say. Wait, I take it back. There's SO much to say it is too much. There ...