Marital magic is a Big Subject.
Today, however, we're going to talk about taking the magic out of the relationship.
See, people think they can read minds. When they fail and things don't work out as they wished, they are confused (why didn't the system work?)and get angry or sad, or frustrated.
The quick and dirty is Don't Do It. Don't mind read. Check it out. Ask your partner what he/she is thinking, what he/she wants. Assume nothing. There's nothing very romantic at the end of the day about mind-reading.
Hearing your partner talk to you about thoughts and feelings? Now that's romantic.
It's the verbal communication that rocks.
I wrote more on this on When Therapists Blog. There's more to say, still, but this is a start.
Oh, and the Illusionist (the movie) really is magical. Maybe keep the magic where it belongs, as entertainment, not reality.
Copyright 2006, TherapyDoc
The blog is a reflection of multi-disciplinary scholarship, academic degrees, and all kinds of letters after my name to make me feel big. The blog is NOT to treat or replace human to human legal, psychological or medical professional help. References to people, even to me, are entirely fictional.
Statcounter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Transitions
Rabbi Zev o nce told us that a rabbi, a Jew, has to be ready to go to a funeral and then a wedding on the same day, maybe within a few ...
-
Almost 30 years ago, when I started my master's degree program, if we discussed borderline , that meant we were discussing psychosis. A...
-
Sometimes I talk to nice young men and women about what they're looking for in a partner and the idea of honesty pops up as a good thing...
-
In the last post Porcini asked me a question in the comments section. You can go back to that to see how I answered her there. She wants to ...
1 comment:
LOVED the move ,The Illusionist. I walked away with a new motivation to find the joy in simple things and make sure every day I'm doing something I really want.
Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner
Post a Comment